Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Guess who's going to Gaza?

That's right- March through August. Woot!

I need to review a bunch of material they sent me, but I thought I'd lead off with a playlist:

Beulah- Popular Mechanics for Lovers
Dios Malos- You Got Me All Wrong
Sufjan Stevens- To Be Alone With You

OK, well, that was short, but the last song led me to some weird brain association. I know other people do this, but look at me insanely when I try to explain it- like, you could see a license plate with the letter T in it and think of a dog you had when you were little who was tied up to a laundry rope stand shaped like a t, and in turn that dog makes you think about growing up, people you hung out with in high school, college, and unintentionally, makes you single one of those people out with memories separate from the original thought.
It makes sense, I swear.
So, Sufjan Stevens made me think of Super-Jess which made me think of concerts in Northampton which led to thinking about LP hunting with Abby which made me think of living on Bartlett Ave. in Pittsfield which made me think of Rach who had just texted me, which sort of threw me for a loop and made me think of Diana Krall which made me think of concerts again, which led me back to Super-Jess. A complete thought, and all within a second. Words make it take longer.

ANYway. I got pretty tired of the learning software that came today. Seriously wishing you could learn Arabic and Hebrew through osmosis. Just had a lengthy chat with Liam, which he made about my love/lack of a love life. Haha. He's like a boxing coach......always in my corner, trying to psych me up for the match. I love him to pieces, but we don't really see eye to eye on the whole...I personally don't want to just sleep with people thing. I mean, props to people who can, and hey, maybe I'm defective, but I just can't swing like that.

Again, I stray from my main topic, which is Palestine, and my future involvement of living in an occupied state. I will be flying into Tel Aviv on March 15th, and returning at the beginning of September. I'm pretty terrified of flash grenades and tear gas, or at least the prospect of it. It's time, though. I've been bitching and preaching about Gaza long enough. Ever since Lana was killed, I've eased up, but when I found this program , I knew what I had to do. After two applications and three phone interviews, I heard about my acceptance this past Monday. I can't even start to explain how good I feel about this.

Haha, regardless of live fire and bombs and curfew and godknowswhatelse I read in the handbook. Probably will post snippets of the handbook on here, it gets amusing. Like, here, a snippet, then a snippet playlist.



Number 6 is pretty hilarious. I had to post it on Facebook, too. In case you can't read it, it says:
"It is best not to wear sandals. You will be walking over rocks and broken glass and Molotov cocktails usually burst into flames on the ground."
I think this is funny for several reasons- a) it is the Holy Land, and you can't wear sandals. B) The fact that they are nixing sandals because of Molotov cocktails. I find it amusing.

Oh, dear. Time for music.
Tom Jones covering Prince- Kiss

OK, admit it, that song was funny enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment