Thursday, October 22, 2009

Interconnectivity and death?

I just read this maybe ten minutes ago.

Linda Lee Gomes

Linda Lee Gomes 1952 - 2009 PITTSFIELD Linda Lee Gomes, 57, of 100 Ryan Road in the Town of Washington, died Saturday, Oct. 17, at her home, surrounded by her loving family. Before moving to Washington two years ago, she had lived in Pittsfield. Born in Pittsfield, March 18, 1952, daughter of Evelyn Rheaume Cormier and the late Ernest Cormier, she was educated in Pittsfield schools. Mrs. Gomes was employed by Crane & Co., Inc., as an assembler in the Specialty Stationery Department in North Adams for eight years, leaving that position two years ago due to ill health. She enjoyed traveling and bird watching. Besides her mother of Pittsfield, Mrs. Gomes leaves a daughter, Allison L. Gomes of New York City; a sister, Sheila Darling and her husband, Mickey, of N.C.; six brothers, Richard Cormier and his wife, Jan, of Becket, David Cormier and his wife, Sandy, with whom Mrs. Gomes resided, Larry Cormier and his wife, Cindy, of Hinsdale, Thomas Cormier of Pittsfield, Philip Cormier of Pittsfield, and Daniel Cormier of Adams. FUNERAL NOTICE: Funeral services will be Friday, Oct. 23, at 7 p.m., at DERY-FOLEY FUNERAL HOME, with the Rev. Charles F. Young, Chaplain of HospiceCare in the Berkshires, officiating. Calling hours will precede the service from 4 to 7 p.m. In lieu of flowers, contributions in memory of Mrs. Gomes may be made to American Cancer Society or to HospiceCare in the Berkshires, both in care of the funeral home, 890 East Main Street, Dalton.


I discovered this tragedy because Allison and I have the same birthday. I decided to go to her Facebook page to leave her a little Happy Birthday message, and saw that a tragedy had occurred. I was also looking at the dates and ages and things....so strange. Same age as mama when she died, same illness, and she died on mama's birthday. Just reading it over, my eyes well up with tears. It might be a grieving thing, but when someone loses a parent or a child, I generally get very angry- or what I assume anger is, which is unharnessed hatred that is not directed at anyone. I do understand that there needs to be birth and death, I really do, but when the death part comes, it always feels so unfair. Not always, that is a lie- sometimes it seems like the right time. But even when I've seen people suffering, I couldn't help but to selfishly hope they would live just a bit longer, because the idea of losing them had always been unthinkable.

Allison is very bright, very wonderful. She is living in Brooklyn still, she found a nice studio. She's a really good person. And I don't just mean that off-handedly, I mean, she is a really GOOD person. The sort of person that you wish the world had no negative effect on, ever, at all, even if it helps them learn things, because she really is that good of a person.

She was her mother's only child. It was just the two of them. Always. I remember when we were in high school and they lived in Williamstown, whenever I would ring the house I could never tell them apart.

I don't know what else to say. I can definitely make a playlist in her memory, though.

(not linking anything, as it's late)
Carly Simon- The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of
Jeff Buckley- Last Goodbye
Procol Harum- Whiter Shade of Pale
Deadeye Dick- Marguerite
The Decemberists- Yankee Bayonet
Ben Lee- Gamble Everything For Love
Kate Havnevik- Unlike Me (acapella version)
Colin Hay- I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You
Elliott Smith- Let's Get Lost
The Beach Boys- In My Room
Elton John- Goodbye Norma Jean
Lionel Ritchie- Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment